Tuesday 31 July 2012

Father and son

Gravestone of Robert Deverell Pyper and his son Robert Daly Pyper, St. Andrew's Old Church, Church Road.
The inscription reads:
In memory of Robert Daly Pyper, the only and beloved Child of Robert Deverell Pyper and Harriette his Wife. Died 12 September 1850. Aged 5 years. 
The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away: blessed be the name of the Lord. 
Also of Robert Deverell Pyper M.D. Father of the above. Died 26th September 1851. Aged 34 years.
Yea, though I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
You can see more gravestones and memorials over at this week's Taphophile Tragics.

4 comments:

SeaThreePeeO said...

5 years and their only child. How sad. Lovely picture.

Beneath Thy Feet

Julie said...

And Hariette ... left with noone ... I am so glad you included the inscription ... I was getting lost.

You included that TESCO sign deliberately, didm't you?? Looks very incongrous ...

Wibbo said...

Julie, it's difficult to avoid that sign - Tesco and St Andrew's are next door to each other!

Liz said...

How very sad. And also the reason I've always loved graveyards; my grandma used to take me into the one near church when I was a toddler and read the inscriptions and make up stories about the families...